www-repository mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Plan of action] Setting up an official maven repository for the ASF
Date Wed, 07 Jun 2006 06:45:54 GMT
Nothing from Brett yet, so braindump from me.

Two classes of repository - m1 and m2. We should focus on short-term
goals for the m1 one and long-term for the m2 one.

Some goals:

* Development ease. It should not take forever to get a dependency deployed.
* Authentic. PGP .asc files for each release.
* Official. Projects should know their code is being placed in the repository.
* Oversight. People shouldn't be deploying jars randomly.
* Complete. Javadoc, Source and Binary jars.
* Stable. Files should not be easy to change.

Multiple repositories are needed:

* ASF Release Repository.
* ASF Snapshot Repository. Deployed to from CI.
* ASF Development Repository. May contain 3rd party jars and manual snapshots.

Some random ideas:

* Monitoring. Have a script that mails this list when something is
added to the release or development repositories. Much like a cvs
commit in another project.

* Tighten things up in a staggered way. Every couple of months we can
enforce something new. ie) All non-PGP signed jars will be removed by
X.

* Pull the Maven repositories out of the mirroring system. It's
unnecessary. With the rsync being down atm, there's not a lot of
reason to avoid it. In fact, rm the ones in the maven repos and move
the ones in archive.apache to repo.apache.org. Need various
repo.apache.org directory names.

Hen