www-repository mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [Plan of action] Setting up an official maven repository for the ASF
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2006 03:51:58 GMT
On Friday 09 June 2006 04:43, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> The latest trend in term of content distribution is "magnet" URI scheme
> which a very simple yet radically clever new way of using the web.
>
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet:_URI_scheme
>
> Instead of a URL such as the above, you get a magnet URI such as
>
>  magnet:?xt=urn:sha1:YNCKHTQCWBTRNJIV4WNAE52SJUQCZO5C

Really cool, although it still only solves part of the total issue. Still need
representation of meta-data, unless you are going to dictate that everyone
MUST use Maven POMs.

For instance, how do find the licensing of the above? Or how do I make the
licensing information available, if the original authors are not interested?

That's why *I* think RDF comes in handy, but I agree that the XML
serialization sux big time and tool support is weak.

Cheers
Niclas

Anecdote; The Jini project allows for temporary URLs based on MD5 checksums,
using a custom protocol httpmd, such as httpmd://89d245a488d96ae2, mainly
used for dynamic codebases in Jini federations.
However, it requires the presence of Jini infrastructure, and not suitable for
global scale.