www-repository mailing list archives

From "Henk P. Penning" <he...@cs.uu.nl>
Subject Re: sources + javadocs
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 00:27:01 GMT
On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, Henri Yandell wrote:

> Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 16:01:47 -0700
> From: Henri Yandell <flamefew@gmail.com>
> To: repository@apache.org
> Subject: Re: sources + javadocs
>
> On 4/4/06, Henk P. Penning <henkp@cs.uu.nl> wrote:

> >                            Writing scripts to install stuff is easy ;
> >   writing stuff that cleans up is not so easy.
> >   First solve the not-so-easy part, before you solve the easy part.
>
> I thought the solution was supposed to be easy. Move it out of dist.

Hen,

  Ok, providing the stuff is signed.

> >   The idea for maven-repository was to have cleanup-hooks :
> >   a pointer from the artifact to the source in 'dist/' ;
> >   when the source goes out, the artifact can be removed.
> >   I haven't seen that idea gone into practice yet, despite
> >   good intentions and promises.
>
> Does the pointer even need to remain? The chief problem is that the
> ibiblio sync would delete it (I thought). So would need to stop the
> --delete if it's happening (or whatever the flag is).

  ?? ; there is no delete on ibiblio

> >   Take a look at java-repository ; what percentage of the stuff
> >   there is obsolete (given its also in archive.apache.org/dist) ?
>
> Two problems with this question:
>
> 1) Nothing in there is obsolete. It has a different use case than the
> rest of dist/.

  Hm, perhaps, up to a point ; there is lots of stuff that has been
  obsoleted by newer versions, many times over.

  Once upon a time it was decided to split stuff three ways:

  -- current production stuff sits in dist (and goes to mirrors)
  -- old stuff sits in archive
  -- new not-yet-production stuff sits in cvs

  Because the repositories sit in dist, contents is limited to
  'current production stuff'.

> 2) Nothing in there is in archive.apache.org/dist (afaik). One has jar
> files, the other tends to be zips/tar.gzs.

  No ; look at

    http://archive.apache.org/dist/java-repository/

  it's all there, rsynced from www.apache.org/dist without deletes.

> What's the cause of the need to move to archive - mirroring or disk
> location? If just mirroring, can we just filter out those directories
> from being mirrored? (no idea if Maven/Ant would want this, but I
> don't know of any current reason to mirror them).

  The archive.apache.org was invented to make it easier for people
  to throw stuff away in dist (don't think too much about it, there's
  always a copy on file). Keeping dist clean and lean is good for
  -- average downloaders browsing the ASF tree
  -- space and bandwidth requirements for mirrors
  -- ASF's bandwidth requirements ; countless clients downloading
     the entire 'dist'.

  I wasn't here when 'java-repository' was invented, and I don't
  know why it was a good idea to put in 'dist'.

  Another idea : I notice that most 'dist/TLP/' trees are kept clean.
  The PMC's don't pay much attention to what in the repositories.
  Maybe the PMC's would look after 'dist/TLP/repository' trees.

  We could easily (?) split up the  repostory tree, bringing them
  under the PMC's watchfull eyes. A script to hardlink or softlink
  a complete repository tree would be easy.

> Hen

  HPP

Henk P. Penning, Computer Systems Group       R Uithof CGN-A232  _/ \_
Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University  T +31 30 253 4106 / \_/ \
Padualaan 14, 3584CH Utrecht, the Netherlands F +31 30 251 3791 \_/ \_/
http://www.cs.uu.nl/~henkp/                   M penning@cs.uu.nl  \_/