www-repository mailing list archives

From "Henk P. Penning" <he...@cs.uu.nl>
Subject Re: sources + javadocs
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2006 22:27:24 GMT
On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, Henri Yandell wrote:

> Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 14:58:11 -0700
> From: Henri Yandell <flamefew@gmail.com>
> To: repository@apache.org
> Subject: Re: sources + javadocs
>
> On 4/4/06, Henk P. Penning <henkp@cs.uu.nl> wrote:
> > On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, Henri Yandell wrote:
> >
> > > Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 13:56:25 -0700
> > > From: Henri Yandell <flamefew@gmail.com>
> > > To: repository@apache.org
> > > Subject: sources + javadocs
> > >
> > > It's all the rage to deploy sources and javadocs to your repos nowadays.
> > >
> > > Anyone mind if I go ahead and see how much I can script in the current
> > > repos such that the sources and javadocs are pulled out of the .zip
> > > files in the archive and sucked over into the maven repo?
> >
> > Hen,
> >
> >   The rules in maven-repository/README.txt :
> >
> >     - only deploy releases voted on by the PMC
>
> Out of interest, are we meant to remove ones that weren't voted on?

  I don't know too much about this rule. It is a general principle
  for the ASF regarding '/dist/'.

> >     - sign all artifacts and POMs (currently, this is a manual step)
> >     - never deploy snapshots or development releases to this repository
> >     - ensure that if a release is deleted from /dist/, it is removed from
> >       here completely also (excluding archiving)
>
> Which would be a bad thing from a user point of view (I assume the
> rsync is deleting at ibiblio if we delete).

  No. IIRC ibiblio offered a mirror under condition they wouldn't
  have to delete.

  Please take this point (automatic cleanup) very serious.

  The java-repository is a big mess and this shouldn't be repeated
  in the maven-repository. Writing scripts to install stuff is easy ;
  writing stuff that cleans up is not so easy.

  First solve the not-so-easy part, before you solve the easy part.

  The idea for maven-repository was to have cleanup-hooks :
  a pointer from the artifact to the source in 'dist/' ;
  when the source goes out, the artifact can be removed.
  I haven't seen that idea gone into practice yet, despite
  good intentions and promises.

  Take a look at java-repository ; what percentage of the stuff
  there is obsolete (given its also in archive.apache.org/dist) ?

> Hen

  HPP

Henk P. Penning, Computer Systems Group       R Uithof CGN-A232  _/ \_
Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University  T +31 30 253 4106 / \_/ \
Padualaan 14, 3584CH Utrecht, the Netherlands F +31 30 251 3791 \_/ \_/
http://www.cs.uu.nl/~henkp/                   M penning@cs.uu.nl  \_/