www-repository mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: sources + javadocs
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2006 23:01:47 GMT
On 4/4/06, Henk P. Penning <henkp@cs.uu.nl> wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, Henri Yandell wrote:
>
> > Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 14:58:11 -0700
> > From: Henri Yandell <flamefew@gmail.com>
> > To: repository@apache.org
> > Subject: Re: sources + javadocs

> > > Hen,
> > >
> > >   The rules in maven-repository/README.txt :
> > >
> > >     - only deploy releases voted on by the PMC
> >
> > Out of interest, are we meant to remove ones that weren't voted on?
>
>   I don't know too much about this rule. It is a general principle
>   for the ASF regarding '/dist/'.
>
> > >     - sign all artifacts and POMs (currently, this is a manual step)
> > >     - never deploy snapshots or development releases to this repository
> > >     - ensure that if a release is deleted from /dist/, it is removed from
> > >       here completely also (excluding archiving)
> >
> > Which would be a bad thing from a user point of view (I assume the
> > rsync is deleting at ibiblio if we delete).
>
>   No. IIRC ibiblio offered a mirror under condition they wouldn't
>   have to delete.

Right, thought that was something they were hot on.

>   Please take this point (automatic cleanup) very serious.
>
>   The java-repository is a big mess and this shouldn't be repeated
>   in the maven-repository. Writing scripts to install stuff is easy ;
>   writing stuff that cleans up is not so easy.
>
>   First solve the not-so-easy part, before you solve the easy part.

I thought the solution was supposed to be easy. Move it out of dist.

>   The idea for maven-repository was to have cleanup-hooks :
>   a pointer from the artifact to the source in 'dist/' ;
>   when the source goes out, the artifact can be removed.
>   I haven't seen that idea gone into practice yet, despite
>   good intentions and promises.

Does the pointer even need to remain? The chief problem is that the
ibiblio sync would delete it (I thought). So would need to stop the
--delete if it's happening (or whatever the flag is).

>   Take a look at java-repository ; what percentage of the stuff
>   there is obsolete (given its also in archive.apache.org/dist) ?

Two problems with this question:

1) Nothing in there is obsolete. It has a different use case than the
rest of dist/.
2) Nothing in there is in archive.apache.org/dist (afaik). One has jar
files, the other tends to be zips/tar.gzs.

What's the cause of the need to move to archive - mirroring or disk
location? If just mirroring, can we just filter out those directories
from being mirrored? (no idea if Maven/Ant would want this, but I
don't know of any current reason to mirror them).

Hen