www-repository mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] m2 repository management
Date Fri, 03 Mar 2006 20:26:33 GMT
There were two big problems.  The first was if a file in SVN is
really big, it can take longer to stream it to the client then the
svn server allows, and the server hangs up on you.  Depending on how
we implement this, it may not be a problem. Another form of this
problem, is you do a commit and the server hangs up on the client
after receiving the commit and the client does not fully realize the
local changes.  The only way to fix this is to delete your checkout
and re-checkout everything from the server.  This would be a big
problem in a live public repository.

The second problem, was that with a really big repo in terms of the
number of files, it would take a prohibitive amount of time time (30
minutes to hours) to run command like svn status, diff, commit or any
command that required a file scan on the client or server.

This was about a year ago now, so these problems may have been fixed
already.

-dain