www-repository mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: cleaned up?
Date Tue, 07 Mar 2006 02:23:25 GMT
Carlos Sanchez wrote:
> I agree in both 1 and 2, but do you consider official releases?
> - RCs
> - betas
> - alphas
>
> IMHO it's a decision of the PMC for each project what to push or it'll
> be hard to manage.

Agreed 100% - I was just stating my opinion that I would not use "RC" to
refer to an official release.
> I'd like to see betas and RCs at least publicly available and
> announced so I can try them. They can be later removed from /dist when
> the next version is released and still be available from ibiblio.

Beta releases, maybe, or whatever the owning PMC votes on and certifies
(including making sure required license, notices, sigs are there), but
not snaps or "release candidates".  These can be made available on
cvs.apache.org and should not go out to the mirrors or to ibiblio.
Once again, this could just be a semantic discussion, but PMCs need to
decide where they draw the line and only push official releases to /dist
or ibiblio.