www-repository mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: cleaned up?
Date Tue, 07 Mar 2006 05:05:57 GMT
On 3/6/06, Henk P. Penning <henkp@cs.uu.nl> wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Mar 2006, Carlos Sanchez wrote:
>
> > Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 09:51:24 -0800
> > From: Carlos Sanchez <carlos@apache.org>
> > To: repository@apache.org
> > Subject: Re: cleaned up?
> > Sender: carlossg@gmail.com
> >
> > They shouldn't be removed for the same reason old versions are not
> > removed when a new one is out ;)
>
>   ?? Everything that ever was in 'www.apache.org/dist', is available
>   on 'archive.apache.org/dist', so the stuff is there.
>
>   Is there a point in keeping older stuff in 'www.apache.org/dist' ?
>   Well after it has gone to ibiblio and 'archive.apache.org' ?
>
>   The repository README's say:
>
>   - ensure that if a release is deleted from /dist/, it is also removed
>     from www.apache.org/dist/java-repository (not archive.apache.org)
>
>   Is that a proper bottom line for 'when to remove stuff from the
>   repository' ?

I was going to be in favour of this. If someone thinks that putting an
RC1 in dist is fine; then it's fine to put it in the repository. Same
for alpha and beta.

I don't like it as none of those names indicate releases to me; but I
can definitely think of examples where projects have lived on an RC
for a long period of time. To them RC means something that gets tested
by users etc; to me an RC is just something that is being checked to
make sure the release was built correctly and should have a lifespan
of weeks at the most.

--

Then I realise you mean that we would delete a version from the
repository when something moves into the archives. ie) treat the

I'm guessing that the Maven guys have some grand mirroring scheme in
plan that would allow Maven to deal with mirrored repositories and
have archive.apache.org as a backup? Or is the thought that people
should all be building from the bottleneck that is iBiblio? In which
case - why are the Apache repositories even public and mirrored?

I'm not getting the plan behind all of this.

Hen