www-repository mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Repository not up to the task??
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2006 09:52:08 GMT
On Wednesday 22 March 2006 15:26, Dion Gillard wrote:
> Could they not rely on unreleased software? cvs.apache.org is for SNAPSHOTs
> and unreleased software only?

That was my first suggestion, but...
Secondly, I suggested that those jars are checked into SVN, as IMHO projects
should remain buildable in the future, at least "most of the time". But with
snapshots, either cvs.a.o or a temporary server, WILL disappear over time.

On Wednesday 22 March 2006 15:27, Brett Porter wrote:
> I've never had a problem using cvs.apache.org.

I find this odd as well, but it was insisted. I also suspect that the "go out
and check if newer

> Regardless, I'm fine with projects managing their own *development*
> repositories, as long as they are using the *release* repository
> correctly (and not hooking their projects up to use it directly).

Well, in a way you are right. BUT, what happens when they are ready for a
release and their dependencies are still snapshot or hand-converted Maven1
artifacts? "We ain't stopping our release because of this..."

Perhaps I am too worried. Cocoon have traditionally only delivered source, and
not binaries, and now when they are going Maven2 I suspect the jars are cut
out of the source distro altogether, but binary distros has also been
discussed, and maybe the answer is there.

Cheers
Niclas