www-repository mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <steve.lough...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Making a redist of all the javax.* packages
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:32:01 GMT
On 1/10/06, Dalibor Topic <robilad@kaffe.org> wrote:
> Steve Loughran <steve.loughran <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > hibernate 3.1 ships with
> > jass.jar
> > connector.jar
> > jdbc2_0.stdext.jar
> > jta.jar
> >
> > jboss 4.0 includes mail.jar, activation.jar
> >
> > Therefore it is clear that mainstream sourceforge hosted apps come in
> > redistributable packages that include sun stuff under the sun license.
>
> Thanks for researching it, Steve, I was not aware that jboss and hibernate ship
> proprietary code from sf.net. That's a rather weird, self-contradictory
> condition, indeed.

One that sun forces on them.

> > These apps all meet Sun's requirements; either sf.net turn a blind eye
> > to the details or are ignorant of them.
>
> They may not be aware of the details, I assume.

Probably.

The thing is, Sun say "you can redist these with your app provided the
T&Cs are met". Now, if I were to statically compile some MFC C++ app
in visual studio I'd end up with MS classes in my binary, something MS
are happy about in the specific cases of the C++ libraries, and again,
which I could redist with my app on sourceforge.

The only real difference is that including Sun jars is more obvious,
as those JARs are trivially extracted and used for other purposes.

I suppose I could do a DLL compile of a C++ app and ship with some MS
DLLs, like ATL.DLL, which again, I can redist according to the MS T&Cs
(we do with production apps you fetch from public sites). I could
probably get away with sticking them into sforge as a release file.
There is no point me sticking them into sforge CVS, because without
the header files they arent any use, and those header files are MS
copyright with limited redistribution rights. So there isnt any
benefit to anyone downstream from me including ATL.dll, except maybe
versioning problems :(

Because the JAR is the header file, having a sun jar on your system
does grant you extra rights, and that is what the SUNW lawyers want
you to click through before those rights are exercised.

-steve