www-repository mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <steve.lough...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Making a redist of all the javax.* packages
Date Sun, 08 Jan 2006 16:39:03 GMT
On 1/8/06, Dalibor Topic <robilad@kaffe.org> wrote:
> Steve Loughran <steve.loughran <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I am still doing an example application for the sequel to Java
> > Development with Ant, one that includes a hibernate based,
> > tomcat-hosted application, and the ant-based build process to go with
> > it, a process that can do sourceforge-ftp and email redistributions as
> > part of the build.
> >
> > I think I could legitimately include all the servlet, mail, ejb JAR
> > files as part of the redist, because they really are needed for the
> > application (and the meta app, the build process) to work. I'd just
> > include the whole thing in an installer that put them in the m2
> > layout, but popped up a sun license first.
> >

> You can not do that on SourceForge. See Terms Of Use at
> http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=6048&group_id=1
>
> 2. NO UNLAWFUL OR PROHIBITED USE
>
> By using the SourceForge.net website, you warrant to OSTG that you will not use
> SourceForge.net, or any of the content obtained from SourceForge.net, for any
> purpose that is unlawful or prohibited by these Terms. If you violate any of
> these Terms, your permission to use the SourceForge.net website automatically
> terminates.
>
> and
>
> 6. LICENSING AND OTHER TERMS APPLYING TO CODE AND OTHER CONTENT POSTED ON
> SOURCEFORGE.NET
>
> Use, reproduction, modification, and other intellectual property rights to data
> stored in CVS or as a file release and posted by any user on SourceForge.net
> ("Source Code") shall be subject to the OSI-approved license applicable to such
> Source Code, or to such other licensing arrangements that may be approved by
> OSTG as applicable to such Source Code.
>
> BCL in its many variations is not an OSI approved license, and it is, to put it
> midly, rather unlikely that it will ever be an OSI approved license ;)
>
> As SourceForge is meant to serve as a hosting platform for open source projects,
> hosting proprietary software over there would not seem to be prudent.

hibernate 3.1 ships with
jass.jar
connector.jar
jdbc2_0.stdext.jar
jta.jar

jboss 4.0 includes mail.jar, activation.jar

Therefore it is clear that mainstream sourceforge hosted apps come in
redistributable packages that include sun stuff under the sun license.
These apps all meet Sun's requirements; either sf.net turn a blind eye
to the details or are ignorant of them.

steve