www-repository mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Making a redist of all the javax.* packages
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2006 17:18:29 GMT
Jason van Zyl wrote:

> 1. Sun has never changed the license for things like JavaMail because
> although it is technically illegal to make Sun Binary License artifacts
> available outside a distribtion, Sun is not going to go after anyone.

If we want a change in BCL, we should bring it through Geir and Cliff *now*.
We spoke with Simon Phipps about all of this at ApacheCon.

Furthermore, the Glassfish versions of the packages are under what so far
looks to be an acceptable license.

> There is not a single case, that I'm aware of, where Sun has pressured
> anyone to remove SBL artifacts from a site or SCM. We did this at Apache
> because it is technically not allowed.

And there are some people at the ASF who don't believe that we should use
BCL licensed artifacts AT ALL.

	--- Noel