www-repository mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: Making a redist of all the javax.* packages
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2006 19:14:29 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
>> 1. Sun has never changed the license for things like JavaMail because
>> although it is technically illegal to make Sun Binary License artifacts
>> available outside a distribtion, Sun is not going to go after anyone.
>
> If we want a change in BCL, we should bring it through Geir and Cliff *now*.
> We spoke with Simon Phipps about all of this at ApacheCon.

Geir knows and has been unsuccessful in the last 4 years to do anything.
It just seems to be a non-issue at Sun.

> Furthermore, the Glassfish versions of the packages are under what so far
> looks to be an acceptable license.

I think taking those if possible or scraping would be more productive
then trying to talk to anyone at Sun. I would be elated if Cliff could
do anything but nothing has happened in the last four years since the
first time I broached the topic Geir.

>> There is not a single case, that I'm aware of, where Sun has pressured
>> anyone to remove SBL artifacts from a site or SCM. We did this at Apache
>> because it is technically not allowed.
>
> And there are some people at the ASF who don't believe that we should use
> BCL licensed artifacts AT ALL.

That's fine and dandy but not very pragmatic in a lot of cases.

--

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

People develop abstractions by generalizing from concrete examples.
Every attempt to determine the correct abstraction on paper without
actually developing a running system is doomed to failure. No one
is that smart. A framework is a resuable design, so you develop it by
looking at the things it is supposed to be a design of. The more examples
you look at, the more general your framework will be.

   -- Ralph Johnson & Don Roberts, Patterns for Evolving Frameworks