www-repository mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: Making a redist of all the javax.* packages
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2006 17:00:41 GMT
Hi,

This is something I tried to rectify more then four years. I talked to
some people at Sun in addition to Geir talking to some people at Sun and
here's the quick summary.

1. Sun has never changed the license for things like JavaMail because
although it is technically illegal to make Sun Binary License artifacts
available outside a distribtion, Sun is not going to go after anyone.
There is not a single case, that I'm aware of, where Sun has pressured
anyone to remove SBL artifacts from a site or SCM. We did this at Apache
because it is technically not allowed. But it was someone at Sun who
told me this.

2. If you can provide the user with the license verbatim as they would
see it downloading from Sun and provide a click through then all the
legal requirements are satisfied. One Maven user long ago actually
implemented something and we never integrated it.  Pity. Essentially it
knew the locations of the required JAR, provided the license for the
user to agree to and pulled down the artifact.

I think that making an application would go against the spirit of the
SBL. Sun is probably not going to do anything about it if we made this
application but the board would probably not approve because we are
knowingly trying to circumvent the license and what is required is the
users agreement to the licensing terms. Even though this app might be
hosted elsewhere it probably would not fly because I was asked to remove
SBL artifacts from the v1 ibiblio repository because of Maven's
association with Apache.

I think a better use of our collective time would be to create a small
tool which cataloged the location of the SBL JARs and showed the user
the license and allowed them to agree to the presented terms and
continue with the build. In this mode we are operating in a legal
fashion and not trying to circumvent SBL even though this is a
ridiculous situation which SUN has never addressed.

I think creating a small tool to semi-automate the click through
agreement would be the optimal solution.

--

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

the course of true love never did run smooth ...

  -- Shakespeare