www-repository mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <steve.lough...@gmail.com>
Subject Making a redist of all the javax.* packages
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2005 17:42:31 GMT
I am fed up with setting up javax.* stuff into local repositories, and
with OSS projects cant even legally host them in our own SCM repos.

What I can do is redistribute *an application* which contains all the
JARs, and presumably the license files.

What is to stop us creating a java app which ships with all the
various JARs, an app whose aim in life is to install the JARs into the
users' local repository. Something like an "m2-javax-installer" app
with servlets, mail, activation, jta, ejb3, etc.

I could stick it up on sourceforge if people are worried about apache
legal issues, make it one of the 'example ant apps' for Java Dev with
Ant, 2nd edition. In this situation the app would consist primarily of
a build.xml file running <m2:install> against various bundled JARs and
poms.

Thoughts?

-steve