www-repository mailing list archives

From "Henk P. Penning" <he...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Maven repository policies
Date Tue, 27 Dec 2005 11:21:23 GMT
On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, Brett Porter wrote:

> Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:47:59 +1000
> From: Brett Porter <brett.porter@gmail.com>
> To: repository@apache.org
> Cc: henkp@apache.org
> Subject: Re: Maven repository policies
>
> Thanks for this Henk. Questions:
>
> On 7/27/05, Henk P. Penning <henkp@apache.org> wrote:
> >   My point of departure (assumptions) :
> >
> >   -- The cleanup problems in 'java-repository' aren't solved
> >   -- If putting stuff in an repository is automated, then repository
> >      cleanup should be automated at least as well
>
> By this, do you mean the problem you refer to below or are there other
> cleanup issues?
>
> >   -- Every object X in the repository is derived from an object Y
> >      in 'dist/' (not 'dist/{java,maven}-repository/').
> >      If Y disappears from '/dist', X should disapear also
> >
> >   To keep things simple, I propose that for every artifact X in
> >   the repository there should a file X.par, containing a pointer
> >   to the parent in 'dist/'.
>
> I'm fine with doing this. We can add a deployment hook on ASF
> artifacts to push that file. By pointer, I assume it would be a URL to
> the original, which a script would replace http:// with /www/ to find
> the file location.

Hi,

  I noticed that the first artifacts are appearing in 'maven-repository'.
  The stuff isn't signed, and I don't see a 'deployment/cleanup hook' ;
  Am I missing something ?

  The past weeks I spent a lot of time nagging people to sign stuff
  and remove obsolete versions ; some 450 out of 1600 artifacts are
  now signed. The repo is still riddled with obsolete stuff ; even
  with automatic archiving on archive.apache.org, cleaning up the
  repo (and keeping it clean) is much too hard, even after being
  on the agenda for over a year...

  I would like to see these issues (pgp signing, cleanup hooks and
  procedures) resolved before the maven-repository goes in production.

> Brett

  Regards,

  Henk Penning

Henk P. Penning, Computer Systems Group       R Uithof CGN-A232  _/ \_
Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University  T +31 30 253 4106 / \_/ \
Padualaan 14, 3584CH Utrecht, the Netherlands F +31 30 251 3791 \_/ \_/
http://www.cs.uu.nl/staff/henkp.html          M penning@cs.uu.nl  \_/