www-repository mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: format .md5 files
Date Mon, 26 Dec 2005 15:30:20 GMT
Henk P. Penning wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   regarding .md5 files in the java-repository: The format generated
>   by people.apache.org's 'md5' program is :
>
>     MD5 (HEADER.html) = 6bb98c724aad862e89acf7734408cf51
>
>   Is this format acceptable in 'dist/java-repository' ?
>
>   Recently someone had a 'inconsistent md5' problem ;
>   can he/she use minotaurs md5 prog to generate new
>   .md5 files ?
>
>   Henk Penning
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------   _
> Henk P. Penning, Computer Systems Group       R Uithof CGN-A232  _/ \_
> Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University  T +31 30 253 4106 / \_/ \
> Padualaan 14, 3584CH Utrecht, the Netherlands F +31 30 251 3791 \_/ \_/
> http://www.cs.uu.nl/staff/henkp.html          M penning@cs.uu.nl  \_/

The output above is not consistent with what maven 1 produces when jars
are deployed using maven 1's jar goal, nor is it consistent with what
md5sum -b produces or expects when used to verify.

This was recently discussed on commons-dev
<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=113487309500001&r=1&w=2>, where the
consensus appeared to be to use the format produced by md5sum -b for
.md5 files included in releases:

<hash> *<file_name>

 From Carlos' reply, I assume maven (2?) can "eat" the format above when
verifying jars.  Whatever we agree on, maven should be able to produce
it as part of jar deployment as well, and we should probably use the
same format for md5's attached to zips and tarballs.  My preference
would be to use a "standard" format if such a thing exists.  Apologies
if the format above is a standard and I am just ignorant of it.

Phil