www-repository mailing list archives

From "Henk P. Penning" <he...@cs.uu.nl>
Subject Re: File permissions in java-repository
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2005 06:56:02 GMT
On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Carlos Sanchez wrote:

> Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 17:26:02 -0700
> From: Carlos Sanchez <carlos@apache.org>
> To: repository@apache.org
> Subject: File permissions in java-repository
> Sender: carlossg@gmail.com
>
> Hi,
>
> There're a lot of files with wrong permissions under
> /www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository. IIRC they have to be
> writable by any commiter, so permissions should be 664 and group
> apcvs, please correct me if I'm wrong.

  I think files should not be group writable.

  -- directories should be mode 775 (group writable)
  -- files should be mode 644

  This allows you to remove and replace files.

    [ please try it ; this works for me ]

  The problem with group writable files is that anybody in group
  'apcvs' (1000 users) can change any group writable file.

  If/when someone changes the content of a file, the file ownership
  doesn't change, so, after a while, it is unclear who is responsible
  for the content of repository files.

  Regards,

  Henk Penning

Henk P. Penning, Computer Systems Group       R Uithof CGN-A232  _/ \_
Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University  T +31 30 253 4106 / \_/ \
Padualaan 14, 3584CH Utrecht, the Netherlands F +31 30 251 3791 \_/ \_/
http://www.cs.uu.nl/staff/henkp.html          M penning@cs.uu.nl  \_/