www-repository mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <rdon...@apache.org>
Subject Re: snapshots policy...?
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:46:53 GMT
On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 22:59 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
> robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > a user requested that a (dated) snapshot of a commons library be
> > uploaded to ibiblio for use by mavenized projects. i've never done this
> > before so i thought i'd give it a go.
>
> I would have objected on commons-dev if I knew the intention was to push
> this out to ibiblio. IMHO, we should *not* be encouraging dependencies
> on non-released jars, nor publishing them to mirrored sites.

this is an argument which has been going on for a number of years now
and i can see both sides. i used to dislike snapshots (and i still
dislike undated SNAPSHOTs) but i can now see the difficulties for open
source projects that needs features now which might take many months to
appear in a full release.

> The "internal use" repository at cvs.apache.org should just be used for
> apache projects that need to use snapshots internally.  External users
> should be encouraged to depend on released versions of commons
> components.

IMHO there is quite a difference between end users and the case of other
open source projects under active development.

it seems a little unreasonable (to me) to say that it's fine to upload
for the internal use of apache projects but that it's not alright to
upload jars for the use of other open source projects. it also seems a
little unreasonable to ask another open source project to wait until the
next release (which may well be many months) for a some functionality
they contributed back to the main library.

IMHO all that this encourages is the proliferation of unofficial forked
versions cut by people outside apache.

IIRC one of the major reasons why apache wanted to move the master
repository back onto apache hardware (from ibiblio) is that we wanted to
regain control over releases. i'm not sure that strictly enforcing the
rule about internal use only would further this policy.

> Others may disagree, but as a Jakarta PMC member, I would -1
> public release of commons snapshots to the apache mirrors or ibiblio.

i can see the bandwidth issue for the public mirrors. i can also see
that it's reasonable to ask people to add cvs.apache.org to their list
of repositories.

but IMHO removing all old snapshots (say) once a new release is cut
should be enough encouragement to upgrade and would be better than
telling users that they should roll their own.

- robert