www-repository mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Maven repository policies
Date Sun, 24 Jul 2005 23:25:57 GMT
Hi,

First of all, please do not retain the CC's on any responses to this.
Folks interested in this topic, could you please subscribe and reply to
the repository@apache.org list - thanks.

Ok, what I wanted to talk about here was establishing a new Maven 2
repository for deployment of Apache redistributable artifacts, and any
policies that should be enforced on that. The Maven 2 repository layout
is currently described here:
http://docs.codehaus.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=22230.

I would like to have something workable for everyone going from the
outset. Here is what I am proposing - please let me know if you have any
feedback, additional requirements, objections, etc.

This repository, which would be in parallel to the existing
/dist/java-repository would be the place for Apache projects built with
Maven 2 or Ant (using the Maven 2 deployment tasks) to drop individual
libraries to. Maven 1 built projects can continue to use the existing
java-repository - only one or the other should be used. Both will be
rsynced to ibiblio and available to both Maven 1 & 2 clients.

I would suggest /dist/maven-repository as the location for this new
repository (java is too specific - we hope to include more than java
artifacts).

Some specific policies:
1) Clients would continue to point at ibiblio or a mirror, not directly
at the Apache repository. In fact I have no problem with this either not
being available over http if that assists in this goal, though it does
make it easier to browse.

2) no development builds in /dist/. Currently, there is
cvs.apache.org/repository for this in the Maven 1 style. A Maven 2
repository of cvs.apache.org/nightly/maven-repository or similar would
also need to be setup, though it would not be available to Maven 1
clients. Maven 2 has built in controls to ensure development builds
arrive at the correct repository (if setup). An alternative to having
this repository on cvs.apache.org might be to have projects create their
own in their zone, using whatever they use for nightly builds or
continuous integration.

3) require long groupId's. Currently the top level directory is polluted
with a lot of different project names. I would like projects to use
org.apache.project.subproject as the groupId so that it uses the
directory structure /org/apache/project/subproject keeping individual
directories with less files in them. The longest I can think of would be
org.apache.jakarta.commons.collections. This should also be done for any
future Maven 1 based releases (it works identically, but retains a
shallow structure in the Maven 1 layout).

4) set permissions to group writable with the appropriate unix group
governing modification of jakarta, for example. This is one area I'd
like to investigate more to ensure we have proper controls on.

5) all files must have an .md5 and .sha1 checksum. Maven deploys these
automatically, and I believe this is already monitored by a script which
we could crack down on violations of in the new repo.

6) all files in the /dist/ repository must have a .asc signature. We
will need to get this automated by the final release of Maven 2.

Some things I would like to get more information on would be:
- what is the best way to rsync this data from another machine?
- what should the deletion policy be? I would think that something
deleted from this repository should automatically be deleted from
mirrors, the ibiblio Maven repositories and its mirrors.
- what should be the archive policy? People often use older releases
from the repository, and require them for historical builds. If we want
to archive them from this repository to archive.apache.org, they still
need to be on ibiblio, so this needs to be managed with the deletion
policy above.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts over at repository@apache.org.
Thanks for your time.

Cheers,