www-repository mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <steve.lough...@gmail.com>
Subject pointer to JCP on modules
Date Sat, 18 Jun 2005 15:58:27 GMT
Sun, Intel, jBoss, others, proposing something on repositories/modules
to ship into java

http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=277

positive
-would be built into Java1.7
-would integrate w/ java web start (nice)
-mentions maven repository. .NET assemblies/GAC, netbeans, ogsi/eclipse

negative
-no mention of the challenge of click through licensing fo rautomated downloads

-doesnt note that build time dependencies should only be a hint. I.e,
if operations need to upgrade to a later XML parser, there shouldnt be
any need to rebuild the app.

-Doesnt note that versioning is one of the most intractable problems
of software engineering.

Remember, these are the same people that gave us classpath: in the
manifest, and the java/lib/ext directories, so their track record is,
well, not good. I have a written a special inset in java dev
explaining why classpath-in-manifest is to be avoided.

There is an opportunity to get something good built into the runtime.
The biggest risk is not that nothing goes in, but something duff ships
instead, for it would set back progress for years.

I'm thinking of adding myself to the wg as an apache representative.
Anyone know who I should contact in apache.org? And is anyone else
interested in joining in?

-steve