www-repository mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal for a centralized Eclipse update manager site for Apache projects/software
Date Wed, 04 May 2005 13:26:17 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>On Wednesday 04 May 2005 20:06, Mark Diggory wrote:
>

>>Thats a little pretentious, so Eclipse should support Maven, but not the
>>other way around? This is not about "every" Apache project having to
>>release Eclipse plugin format, just those that want to. Its trivial for
>>a project to organize an artifact directory for Eclipse
>>plugins/features. And doing so promotes more interoperability between
>>the two.
>>

>My assertion is mostly based on the fact that almost 600 top level group names
>exist on http://www.ibiblio.org/maven, and go around asking the same question
>to a larger group of those seems to me to be very ineffective, especially
>since the benefit isn't obvious to those who have to do the work.

Sorry if my response sounded abrasive, I'm not trying to be. He was
simply asking advice on who to consult on publishing Eclipse artifacts.
The ASF Repository list is about discussing this kind of subject.

The benefit is in a greater, more useful "ASF Repository". Initially,
they thought they would need a separate "repository" to maintain these
distributables. They brought the subject up on the Incubator list
because of this, the moderator suggested it was a topic for the
repository list (which it is).

The question has now turned into how to physically structure a eclipse
plugin/feature distribution in the ASF repository so that it can be
accessed using the Eclipse update mechanism. I don't think the goal was
to require all TLP's to begin packaging everything to work in the
Eclipse updater. Nor, that they have a responsibility to do so, only
that if they wish to do so, that they may.

If it ultimately is determined that ASF repository isn't the place for
this (which would be sad indeed), then I'd recommend that the plugins
just be distributed out of the projects
"/www/www.apache.org/dist/<project>" directory at Apache (which
ultimately defeats our efforts to have a generic repository architecture).

>If Maven can generate it without any additional effort, then you have solved
>it for a chunk of those projects, that's great. I still maintain as a general
>rule that those who benefit, should also carry the majority of the burden, in
>this case Eclipse users/developers.
>

>Cheers
>Niclas

I think many of us wear multiple hats, working on many different OS
projects. The burden become less about "who is responsible" and more
about "wheres the best place to maintain code/releases".

-Mark