www-repository mailing list archives

From Mark Diggory <mdigg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for a centralized Eclipse update manager site for Apache projects/software
Date Wed, 04 May 2005 01:59:25 GMT
Jeffrey,

Yes as they pointed out I'm moving our responses to the thread to the
repository group.

Each project is responsible for their repository contents. So, from this
standpoint, if you took Axis for example, the Axis group would be
responsible for managing the release of any Axis Eclipse plugin
artifacts into the repository. Now, the benefit (or burden) of this is
that Axis gets canonical control of managing the distribution of such a
plugin and can maintain authority of its release cycle. So ultimately,
you should hop onto the Axis list and start a discussion there
concerning if they are interested in maintaining the plugin.

Some important facts about the repository.

1.) The repository under www.apache.org/dist/java-repository is only for
full releases of apache projects (not nightly/integration builds).
2.) Its is not advised that you point users directly at the above url,
but go through any of the many Apache mirrors.
3.) All released artifacts should be signed by author using both PGP and
MD5 signatures.

In regards to (2), I'd be interested in seeing how the new mirrors
feature of the Eclipse update manager can handle this gracefully.