www-repository mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: long project names & repositories
Date Sat, 16 Apr 2005 13:22:14 GMT
Brett Porter wrote:
>  > the smartfrog solution is brute force unforgiving: you must declare
>  > the SHA1 or MD5 value in a download
>
> Right... I'm sure users wanting security will put up with a certain
> level of pain. I'm still not sure how you securely publish the value
> initially (though this certainly prevents later tampering).
>
> I'd still like to think this through a little more.
>
>  > The reason for sha1 emphasis is primarily that md5 is doomed: its too
>  > easy to break, 2-5 years left in it before it is as trusted as DES.
>  > Now, when it is finally broken, .rpm is the first juicy target. But
>  > md5 is old; it would be good if maven2 had .sha1 everywhere right from
>  > the outset.

Sadly, SHA-1 is also "doomed"...See, e.g.
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/02/cryptanalysis_o.html

Assuming goal is just checksum, however, this is np.  Also, SHA-1 still
definitely has more runway than MD5.  Quoting from Shneier,

"Jon Callas, PGP's CTO, put it best: 'It's time to walk, but not run, to
the fire exits. You don't see smoke, but the fire alarms have gone off.'"

Phil