www-repository mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <brett.por...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Where to publish Xalan code on http://www.apache.org/dist (fwd)
Date Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:15:33 GMT
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:53:04 -0500, Mark R. Diggory <mdiggory@apache.org> wrote:
> As I was discussing in the jakarta-general list earlier. There are a
> number of projects with mavan project properties setup with the
> following parameter.
>
> maven.repo.remote=http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/,http://www.ibiblio.org

The projects really should change - it's not necessary because of the
sync. Some have cvs.prod.f2.com.au/repository in there - and that's
fine if they require newer builds than those released.

> There is another case:
>
> maven.repo.central.directory=/www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository

By Maven 1.0 this was deprecated. You can now specify multiple
deployment targets, so I have:

maven.repo.apache=scp://www.apache.org
maven.repo.apache.directory=/www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository

and

maven.repo.apachecvs=scp://cvs.apache.org
maven.repo.apachecvs.directory=/www/cvs.apache.org/repository

with maven.repo.list=apachecvs by default. The release manager uses
-Dmaven.repo.list=apache to publish to the other location. This can be
enforced by permissions if we really have a problem (though once
people get harassed about snapshots when they turn up, I think it'll
quickly stop).

There will still be accidents, as I did the other day :(

Other things that need doing:
- sign code before pushing it up
- publish to a stage location so it can be vetted by a script for a
valid md5, asc and that it isn't a SNAPSHOT, before copying it to the
release location

> this is actually bad as well, because the developers cutting interim
> builds will deploy them accidentally into the java-repository. I feel
> that this should be avoided as well by everyone but the release manager.

Ok, I'll include this in the document I'm still trying to get to :(

Cheers,
Brett