www-repository mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Where to publish Xalan code on http://www.apache.org/dist (fwd)
Date Wed, 12 Jan 2005 00:25:35 GMT

Henk P. Penning wrote:

>   Hm, it would seem the latest sanctioned 'maven' is in
>
>     /www/www.apache.org/dist/maven/binaries/maven-1.0.2.tar.gz
>
>   .. unpacking it shows me
>
>     maven-1.0.2/plugins/maven-site-plugin-1.5.2.jar
>
>   so the latest sanctioned maven-site-plugin appears to be '1.5.2'.
>
>   Or isn't it ?

Possibly, depends on which version maven decided to package, it could be
an older version in the repo. I'm not sure this adiquates portrays the
issue.

>   Also, if SNAPSHOT is no different than "LATEST" or "CURRENT",
>   what does "LATEST" or "CURRENT" stand for ?? ( 1, 2, 3 ..)

My point exactly! I look at where its used and I see mixed meanings.

1.) It could be a link to a interim build
2.) It could be a copy of a interim build.
3.) It could be a link to a full release.
4.) It could be a copy to a full release.

Its used by Maven to set dependency resolution to be dynamic, so that if
a dependecy deploys a new version (interim or release) to the repository
and moves the SNAPSHOT link/copy to point at it, then the project
dependency resolves to use it. I don't know how many projects take
advantage of it, we've avoided it over time in the Jakarta Commons
because its hard to cut a release when its dependent on an interim build
that is very different than the previous release.

-Mark

--
Mark Diggory
Open Source Software Developer