www-repository mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Maven and repository@apache.org
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2005 17:13:16 GMT

Russell Gold wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 17:04:17 +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi
> <nicolaken@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I kinda disagree. Eclipse 'forces' you to enter the http of the
>> repository from which you can get a plugin, and AFAIK it has not
>> become (yet?) unwieldy.
>
> Plugins are not the same as dependencies. Each user selects a plugin
> typically *once* as part of a manual configuation of the tool.
> Dependencies are selected (and considered for download) *every* time
> an automated build is run.

:-?  Don't I write this down in a property file - pom?

> Further, in an open-source world the builds are frequently run by
> people who are not and have no access to those who defined the
> builds. Downloading really needs to be easy and automatic.

This is not about downloading...

I mean, instead of:

         <dependency>
             <id/>
             <groupId/>
             <artifactId/>
             <version/>
             <jar/>
             <type/>
             <url/>
             <properties>
             </properties>
         </dependency>

Why not something like:

         <dependency>
             <id/>
             <groupId/>
             <artifactId/>
             <version/>
             <jar/>
             <type/>
             <url/>
             <repository type="" url=""/>
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
             <properties>
             </properties>
         </dependency>

>> You see, directing users to repositories with diversely licensed
>> jars, is not something that is particularly nice, as you put
>> yourself in a position of being liable.
>
> How so?

This is controversial, but it may be, and sun shows this in a similar
way with the click-through license stuff, that some would not want to
have their repo be part of a central DNS, and some users, especially in
corporate environments, want to be able to direct users to different
repos for different artifacts.

If we build a central "DNS", we would become possible target in case
someone does not want to be listed, or, vice versa, we could not provide
the repo service if someone has a repo but does not want to be listed.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -