www-repository mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Maven and repository@apache.org
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2005 08:39:28 GMT

Now that Depot has closed doors, the need for Apache-wide artifact
handling has remained, and Maven is the only actor here that is willing
and able to pursue this road.

What relationship does the repository list have with Maven?
What relationship does Maven have with the repository list?

Ass Brett Porter has written, and I agree:
"
1) Maven PMC takes ownership for getting the repository right
2) Henk, myself (Maven PMC), Mark Diggory (if available), representative
from interested Apache projects PMC (most likely someone from Ant) get
together to sort out exactly what we think needs doing (we can use the
repository list if appropriate)
3) suggest small steps to fix each problem rather than coming up with a
killer solution that will never get implemented
4) can use the repository wiki for information based on what has already
been discussed
"

I'd add that to use a common repository, there needs an implementation
for all projects to use. It's easy, correct and resonable to think that
it should be under Maven. Is Wagon still active? The Depot project SVN
is still there, ready to be used if/when needed by the Maven project.

Thus I would add that the repository@apache.org list and wikis should
support and point users to the Maven repository handling code.

Does this sound reasonable?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -