www-repository mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@apache.org>
Subject Re: md5's
Date Wed, 06 Oct 2004 18:08:38 GMT
Dion,

I really think this is more systemic in terms of the upload behavior of
Maven.

The delema is that the general policy in promotion for /dist/ right now
is that group "writable" on files are very bad. However, as Henk pointed
out, this doesn't mean you can't take ownership of the jars, it just
means that Maven needs to be a little more savvy about publishing files.

For instance the artifact publishing plugin could catch this issue: if
the file isn't group writable and the directory is, then the file should
just be moved out of the way or deleted and the new file uploaded. It
will then be owned by the individual who uploaded it. This way we are
not left guessing who in the group last altered the file which we have
no way of recording right now when maven uploads a file over an existing
group writable file.

Ultimately it would, as well, be of great benefit if the artifact
publishing worked initially in a staging area as not to confuse existing
  cron jobs attempting to validate md5's on the server. This would
probably be best served in the systems default tmp directory.

-Mark

--
Mark Diggory
Open Source Software Developer