www-repository mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Subversive Repository
Date Wed, 29 Sep 2004 16:13:31 GMT
Here's a thought that has been propagating through my neurons.

What if the ASF Repository content was maintained in Subversion and
exported into dist/java-repository for mirror propagation using some
automation? Given Subversions binary diffing, this would be manageable.

1.) This would allow us to control permissions at the same level as the
cvs/subversion source control. As such:

Jakarta Commons Jelly

and

Jakarta Commons Collections

would have enough fine grained permissions to control to separate who
gets the right to add/remove/modify content at that level instead of
what we have right now, which are only the groups in the shell (ie xml,
jakarta etc).

2.) This would give us a layer (automated update of
dist/java-repository) to catch issues such as:
    a.) md5 and signature errors.
    b.) dated-build vs full version releases.

The downfall is that Repository Clients (Like Maven) would need to be
capable of doing svn commits etc to publish artifacts instead of ssh/scp
requests.

-Mark

--
Mark Diggory