www-repository mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject Re: ASF Repository, closer.cgi and Depot
Date Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:33:37 GMT

mirrors@ is a list but mainly for mirror maintainers. There's no one on
mirrors@ who isn't sub'ed to infra....

> I suspect their views would include what you suggest, that
> distribution might
> save some nomimal (c.f. artifact sizes) bandwidth savings & give some
> CPU
> saving, but it'd be at significant loss of 'control' (of well behaved
> clients). Central control over this seems the most appealing.

Agreed.

> Since I doubt the CPU cycles are worth saving (or the script would've
> been
> optimised), could we not just change the script to check for some
> header
> from the client, and return XML or some structured text, for non-human
> browsers. [BTW: viewcvs seems to do this nicely, returning the file if
> non-human and the presentation is human (as browser identifies).

This sounds promising. You have central control, you get the
geoip-mapping stuff for free and the CPU cycles as well as the
bandwidth for (XML-ized) responses are a no-brainer in this case.

just my 2 cents...

Cheers,
Erik