www-repository mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: adding jaxme jars
Date Thu, 11 Mar 2004 18:52:02 GMT
Basically, in Maven the difference between "version releases" and "build
releases" is designated in the version, not in the artifact id.

/jaxme/jars/jaxme-<build-date>.jar

and

/jaxme/jars/jaxme-<version-no>.jar

It is important to have your artifactId's match across all versions of
an artifact, otherwise they aren't the same "artifact", so

/jaxme/jars/jaxme-incubator-x.x.jar

does not share the same artifact id as

/jaxme/jars/jaxme-SNAPSHOT.jar

to have them match it would have to be

/jaxme/jars/jaxme-incubator-SNAPSHOT.jar

So, if your going to be distributing a "build release" I recommend the
naming strategy where all artifactID's match. If the jaxme project is
planning to leave the incubator anytime in the future, I would highly
recommend you not use the word "incubator" in the artifact id. My
personal opinion added to this is that its the same way we don't use
"jakarta" in in projects like the Jakarta Commons, because some aspects
Jakarta is a Foundry. Incubator is also a Foundry.

My future planned strategy to support "build-releases" is to have build
releases (daily, weekly builds etc) not be present on:

/www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository

but to actually be present on:

/www/cvs.apache.org/builds/java-repository

Then, to actually use this approach with Maven you'd have to add the
cvs.apache.org repository to your Maven client, this makes project
dependencies hairy in the Current release of Maven because the contents
wouldn't be present at ibiblio. We still have much to decide to do and
infrastructure to setup to have this build location.

My current strategy in this case is to have the build-releases in the
same project directory as the version releases, then they are all
rsynced with ibiblio properly. This is simply because build releases
already existed in the repository when we moved the apache contents of
ibiblio back to Apache.

What is the status of jaxme in the incubator? When do they anticipate an
official release?

Maybe this is a reason enough to push forward the development of the
daily/weekly/... build repository. Allowing any more build-releasing in
the dist/java-repository is a sensitive issue when it comes to
mirroring. It would be wise for us to stop doing this asap. This is
probably a good location where I could use assistance from repository
folks in working out these details.

-Mark

--
Mark Diggory