www-repository mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: duplicate data
Date Sat, 21 Feb 2004 00:01:54 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>The issue is... the jars/distributables are placed into the
>>java-repository using maven. so, currently, if you look in
>>something like the commons project.properties you'll see that
>>they are pointing to the central repository for the location
>>of where to "publish" files.
>

>>The "convergence issues" we currently have for the repository:
>>  1.) We want single copies of files on the mirrors.
>

>  +1
>

>>My best conclusion is
>> keep "jars" in the java-repository, do not keep them
>> in your /dist/<project>/<binaries> directory.  Remove all
>> [jar/zip/tar files] from the java-repository.
>

>>symlnk the appropriate java-repository dir into their appropriate
>>"dist" directory.
>

> That sounds OK to me, but folks like Sander and others more involved in
> mirroring should be put in the loop.  Everything we put under dist/ effects
> 100s of mirrors.

Yes, I learned that the hard way when we created the contents of
java-repository... that was not a happy weekend. I don't make any "rash"
changes to dist any more...Only well thought out moves. But we are in a
state of cleanup now as well, we have to consider what we are going to
do next.

>>Discussion about how to finalize the directory structure such
>>that "Repository", "Dist/Mirror" and "Maven" has to move forward.
>

> That would be good.

In our last discussion, I think one of the conclusions that was arrived
at as well, was the idea of breaking the java-repository up into two
different locations.

www/cvs.apache.org/dist/java-repository --> nightly builds

www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository --> official releases.

the idea was that nightly/weekly builds are not things we want to see on
mirrors but to be available for developers. And that official release of
jars are things we want to see mirrored.

When it comes to things like the ibiblio maven repository, it would only
maintain full version releases of apache projects. If your an apache
project and need to be on the bleeding edge for a component, then you
can simply add

www/cvs.apache.org/dist/java-repository

as your first repository location and get your apache jars straight off
the nightly builds...

The big question is how to facilitate this a build process, I think the
last decision on the Jakarta Commons/General/Maven lists was that we
would automate the build process for releasing the nightly jars into

www/cvs.apache.org/dist/java-repository

And the only publishing of jars by actual humans (Release Managers)
would be the full releases onto

www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository

I believe this sort of approach would be inline with the policies of the
dist/mirrors.

--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer