www-repository mailing list archives

From Patrick Chanezon <patl...@chanezon.com>
Subject cool uris don't change, don't they ?
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2004 03:11:33 GMT
Hi all,
I've been lurking in that list (repository) for a while, because the
topic of repositories is of interest to me.
I think that maven will have a big effect on java development and I
understand that the apache repository will be where maven stores its
jars (not sure about that but that would make sense, cross posting to
maven-dev).

I just wanted to check if you quantified or considered the requirement
about how long you would keep artifacts at their url.
Today I experienced some broken build with an unofficial makefile that
helps build a system called Syncato (details at
http://www.chanezon.com/pat/weblog/archives/000131.html).
Rick Bradley's syncatomatic is a hack, and it broke because it made
assumptions about xerces 2.3 source distribution to be hosted on an
apache mirror.

I thought: no big deal for a quick hack like this, designed to help
people out temporarily.

But when most java software gets built using maven, I guess you don't
want that kind of things to happen. And it could happen all over the
place, in a few years, if old version of artifacts get decommissionned
wihtout warning.
Did you specify a lifecycle for artifacts, with some durations, and a
process to decommision them ?
Also maybe when decommisioning time approaches, the server could notify
maven, and maven could issue some warnings, pretty much like deprecation
messages in java compilation, so that developers get warned that they
should upgrade to a newer library.

P@