www-repository mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: Developer Repository
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2004 23:19:22 GMT

Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
>>Yes, the "default" value for the location of the central repository in
>>Maven points to www.ibiblio.org/maven, and this is indeed configurable
>>(in acouple of different plug-ins currently).
>

> We propably at some point will have to do a very careful review; and see
> if it not makes more sense to make that an asf domain entry; even if
> the first thing which happen is a re-direct which is cached client side
> for a 'long' term. As I'd hate think what would happen if we have to pull
> a certain file (say due to an honest error or oversight) and then have a
> tool from our -own- making not follow through ' in the field' due to it
> going to an outside URL.

Just to clarify, the maven repository at ibiblio is not just for apache,
there is content within it that is not created by apache.

www.ibiblio.org/maven is the "canonical" source for the maven repository
specifically because it is an "organizationally neutral" location.
Anyone can request to ibiblio to have their jars deployed there. I think
to suggest that www.ibiblio.org/maven is going to get redirected to the
new Apache Repository would violate this neutrality.

With this specific condition, what we have currently setup is the following:

1.) /dist/java-repository/ contains "Apache Only" published jars for
mavenized projects. It is essentially an "Apache Only Maven Repository".
This is currently mirrored at ibiblio under:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/apache/java-repository/

2.) Jason then wrote a script which updates the contents of
www.ibiblio.org/maven those appropriate apache projects mirrored within
the above directory.

>>(Yes, it would be fun to see a plug-in which automatically seeks out the
>>nearest mirrored respository).
>

> Well - that is a lofty goal.
>

>>Yes, this sounds like the direction the "repository" folks are heading
>>it with the directory structure, in the meantime however...
>

> Just get your shoulders under it - and get it to work. Federation is not
> -that- complex.
>
> Dw

-Mark

--