www-repository mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: Developer Repository
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2004 21:04:57 GMT

Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Mark R. Diggory wrote:
>

>>www.apache.org/dist is primarily for mirroring Apache certified
>>releases, and the maven repository contains snapshots and daily builds
>>primarily for Developers (plus releases).
>

> Then somehow these need to be split.
>

>>It would seem more logical given this reguard to actually have the
>>repository outside of dist in a separate directory like
>>http://www.apache.org/repository and have this be separately mirrored by
>>ibiblio for the canonical maven repository and others who want it.
>

> Why not have it mirroed by -anyone- and make the system so that you always
> go to the nearest location; no cannonical nothing.

Yes, the "default" value for the location of the central repository in
Maven points to www.ibiblio.org/maven, and this is indeed configurable
(in acouple of different plug-ins currently).

(Yes, it would be fun to see a plug-in which automatically seeks out the
nearest mirrored respository).

>>Now that I see it, this is placing alot of developer content that may
>>change more often than that of the official releases into the apache
>>mirrors. I suspect the mirror folks, and mirrors themselves may be
>>adverse to this?
>

> use metadata.

Yes, this sounds like the direction the "repository" folks are heading
it with the directory structure, in the meantime however...

-Mark

--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer