www-repository mailing list archives

From Nick Chalko <n...@chalko.com>
Subject Re: Anywhere near concensus?
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2003 16:44:53 GMT
Anou Manavalan wrote:

> Thinking about the sub project hierarchies, like lets say 'Depot' goes
> under Jakarta and it has its own sub projects like 'Ruper' and
> 'Version' then the repository in the form[1] will have problems
> accomadating them.

http://repo.apache.org/org.apache.jakarta/depot-ruper
Any thing you can do with a "/" you can do with a "." or "/" or "_".  It
just makes the directory listings longer.

> That said, I don't want to give up the simple fact of clear separation
> of  "/" between the specifiers.
>
> Does any one see a problem in this one ?
>
> 1.  product-specifier = organisation "/" project-specifier
>     organisation = pchar+
>     project -specifier = project ["/" project]*
>     project = pchar+
>
> * - for 0 or more

That is choice 2.

What is the algorithim for knowing when product-specifier ends  and
version begins?

org/project/version   is simple.  Version starts after the second "/".

If we can describe a algorothim for detecting where version begins, but
still allowing people to make up there own version rules and artifact
types, then I am fine with using  a variable number of "/" in
product-specifier.

Limiting the use of "/" in product-specifier is a trade-off that allows
for large freedoms in the version and artifiact specifiers.

R,
Nick