www-repository mailing list archives

From Nick Chalko <n...@chalko.com>
Subject Re: subproject URI naming convention
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2003 06:35:06 GMT
Tim Anderson wrote:

>Can you provide an example of a URI which can't be parsed?
>
>-Tim
>
>[1] http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ASFRepository/URISyntax

*repository-uri = access-specifier "/" product-specifier "/"
version-specifier "/" artifact-specifier*

    It defines *access-specifier* and *product-specifier*, but leaves
    *version-specifier* and *artifact-specifier* opaque, to be defined
    by language, platform, or artifact-specific best practices.

    Since version-specifier and artifact-specifier are opaque, there is
    no way to tell where product specifier ends.
    I know we have suggested version, and a Java artifact specifier.
    But what about other languages,  Like the "new cool O/S" language foo.

    It's artifact's are called bars

    http://repo.com/org/foo/cat/dog/bars/bar.zip

    What is the product  org.foo.cat  or org .foo?
    Is cat the version name or is dog.?
    Perhaps there are two kings of bars, one for dogs and one for eggs.
    or what ever.

    If we want to leave version specifier and artifact specifier opaque
    then I think it is important to harden the product specifier.  Some
    limits to version might be acceptable,  but artifact should
    definitely be opaque.

    organization/project  is a workable solution that lets a tool make
    intelligent guesses based on URI only,.

    I like the simplicity of
    Top level  =  Organization that distribute things
    2nd level =   A project.  (a sub organizational unit that
    distributes artifacts)
    3/4 level = Version,   (interim builds take an extra level
    4/5 =  Artifacts stored any what a project likes.  (with best
    practices for Java and other languages.)
    The ONLY limits we have on organization and project and version is
    it must be valid URI character and it can not be a "/"  (ie pchar)

    R,
    Nick