www-repository mailing list archives

From Nick Chalko <n...@chalko.com>
Subject Re: subproject URI naming convention
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2003 17:02:39 GMT
Tim Anderson wrote:

>>The fact that commons-lang and commons-io  are both part of the same
>>Jakarta Project has no meaning to a repository.
>>

>True, but users browsing the repository can find them easier if
>they are grouped together.

The only difference between
commons/lang  and commons-lang    is the number of items in a directory.

but again if we allow arbitrary number of "/" before the the artifact
part how can we tell what the project is

we are back to
http://repo.com/alpha/beta/alpha/beta/dist/beta-alpha.zip
http://repo.com/dist/nightly/dist/dist/dist/dist/foo.zip

Silly  examples but with out a RIGID spec it will happen.  Someone will
want to name thier project Alpha,  or nightly  or the orginaztion will
be named dist or intrim or snapshot.

Lets just pick a number of groupings  one or two or three and stick with
it.
Allow the "/" to have special meaning.

R,
Nick