www-repository mailing list archives

From Nick Chalko <n...@chalko.com>
Subject Re: subproject URI naming convention
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 15:22:12 GMT
Understanding that we are at the detail level and any of this will work.
The two questions up are
org/proj

and
allowing and/or forcing
org/proj/sub-proj.

I have made the case in the past for not allowing arbitrary "/" in part
names because it makes the URI hard to parse.  Not hard to generate but
hard to parse.
For the same reason I also discourage optional dir's
For example what is the org project subproject of this
http://repo.apahce.org/alpha/beta/alpha/beta/alpha/beta/alpha/jars/alpha-beta.jar

That said I am fine with manditory sub-projects.  but I think we are
fine without them  using just
"-".  eg    commons-lang and commons-log

On the Orginzation part.  It does seem redundant to say
http://repo.apache.org/apache/
I anticipated the org part for mirrors so we would have  something like
http://repo.mirror.com/apache  and http://repo.mirror.com/sun
But we can do that anyway.  It is really just a sematic thing, ie  are
the two URL's above  part of one Apache style repository or are the two
seperate repositories.

I prefer to think of them as one repository.

R,
Nick