www-repository mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Where to put Version in the URISyntax
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2003 19:53:24 GMT
RE:

  http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ASFRepository/URISyntax

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ASFRepository/WhereIsVersionInU
RISytnax

Right now, it seems that most ASF projects follow the layout described for
the mirroring system: http://www.apache.org/dev/mirrors.html.  That scheme
places the version in the terminal element of the URI.  That scheme also
makes heavy use of symlinks, places only the most popular formats in the
project root, and has the user browse through project-specific layouts for
platform-specific binary releases.

Version in the product-specifier:

 PRO: - all artifacts for a given version in one place
 CON: - after downloading, if the version is not ALSO
        in the artifact element, the information is
        lost.

Version in the artifact-specifier:

 PRO: - after downloading, it is obvious which version
        is being used.
      - compatible with current ASF scheme
 CON: - if the version isn't also in the path, all
        artifacts are in one huge directory.

Version in both places:

 PRO: - all artifacts for a given version in one place
      - after downloading, it is obvious which version
        is being used.
      - compatible with current ASF scheme
 CON: - relies upon ability for file system to support
        symlinks, or has massively redundant data.

We've already indicated that version "M.m.p", "current", "nightly",
"mm-dd-yy", etc.  Placing the version in the product-specifier would appeaer
to require a change from the current mirroring structure, which places
current versions under <project>/, unless we define that an empty version
means the current version.

I have no problem stating a semantic that

   the version must either the same in both product-specifier
   and artificat-specifier, or it may be empty in one or both
   places.  If it is empty in both places it is the same as
   current and is a non-preferred use.  If it is empty in one
   place, and specified in the other, the empty use has no meaning.

We would clearly note that although the version MAY be empty in both the
product and version specifiers, it is highly undesirable except in specific
cases.  The version SHOULD be in at least one place.

Thoughts?

	--- Noel