www-repository mailing list archives

From "Anou Manavalan" <anou_m...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Use of '/' in ???-specifier's
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:07:14 GMT
+1

I didn't think of parsing when I was suggesting replacing '.' with '-'
instead of '/'.  I was just looking at a clean differentiation between each
main segment and the part of the segments.

But if we look at the parsing point of view, If the organization is given
for search, then yes, it would be easy to change the '.' to '/' and then
search for it. But usually that won't be the case. If you are given with a
jar name or project name or some other key, without proper differentiation
between the segments, the tools needed to be taught of the organization as a
separate entity than the other segments and how to parse that out.

This is a small thing, but it would be nice to make it simple instead of
complex.

regards,
-Anou

>From: Nick Chalko <nick@chalko.com>
>To: repository@apache.org
>Subject: Re: Use of '/' in ???-specifier's
>Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 23:59:46 -0800
>
>Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>
>>Seems to me
>>that there is limited utility to being able to parse the URI, and that the
>>real key is having meta-data with which to assemble it.  But others don't
>>seem to agree with that view.  They want to parse semantic information
>>from
>>the URI.
>>

>The semantic information is there in the URL,  org. project. version,
>artifact type, name,  release type etc.
>People WILL try to parse it.   I think it would be a Good Idea to make it
>easy to parse at least the major pieces into discrete chunks.
>
>Assuming most people will simply replace "/" with "-" or "_"  the issue is
>not one off URL length or URL readability, it seems to be mostly about  the
>browseablity of of directories.
>In other words have all the  apache projects under the apache dir, or under
>subdirs of apache.
>
>I think the convience of knowing exactly where org, project, and version
>start and stop is worth the cost to browseablity.
>
>R,
>Nick

Send a QuickGreet with MSN Messenger
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/cdp_games