www-repository mailing list archives

From "Tim Anderson" <...@netspace.net.au>
Subject RE: licensing issues for virtual artifacts (was RE: click through license support?)
Date Sun, 23 Nov 2003 00:06:08 GMT
Virtual artifacts have the potential to:
. simplify build environments
. simplify installation documentation
. reduce the bar of entry for building ASF software
. reduce support requests
. allow meta-data to be associated with 3rd
  party artifacts

They are not about:
. hosting 3rd party artifacts within ASF repository
. circumventing licenses of 3rd party products
. exposing ASF to liability

So far, no one has demonstrated that virtual
artifacts would expose ASF to liability -
although I'm not privvy to discussions held on
non-public ASF lists.

-Tim