www-repository mailing list archives

From "Tim Anderson" <...@netspace.net.au>
Subject RE: [proposal] URI Syntax - v0.2
Date Sat, 15 Nov 2003 06:27:19 GMT
> From: Noel J. Bergman [mailto:noel@devtech.com]
>
> > My input here is primarily based on writting Ruper
>
> > You don't have to like the tool, I'm not trying to push the
> implementation
>
> I've never even seen the thing, and you are a priori assuming that I don't
> like it?
>
> > It allows you to query what is there, query and capture "oldest
> resources"
> > [and do a delete/clean], and download newest, etc.
>
> How does it know what OLDEST means?  I see that Tim is trying to add some
> more structure, so maybe he's thinking that we can restrict the
> URI space so
> that a restricted notion of version assures an automatable concept of
> succession.

The common build version specifier proposal does add structure to
the version, but doesn't enable tools to determine if one version
is older or newer than another.

A tool could reasonably assume that version "1.0" < "2.0" but this is
only valid for projects which follow numeric versions.
For those projects which love codename versions (e.g, "chicago", "delta"),
no assumptions can be made.

-Tim