www-repository mailing list archives

From "Tim Anderson" <...@netspace.net.au>
Subject RE: licensing issues for virtual artifacts (was RE: click through license support?)
Date Thu, 27 Nov 2003 04:26:31 GMT

The idea behind virtual artifacts is that they allow users and tools
to determine if an artifact is available or not.

Given the artifact:
  http://repo.apache.org/sun/jndi/1.2.1/jars/jndi-1.2.1.jar

A user browsing the repository on seeing "jndi-1.2.1.jar"
can assume that a tool will be able to download it,
regardless of whether the repository hosts it or not.

Without the virtual artifact:
. users might not be aware that corresponding meta-data indicates
  to tools that the real artifact is hosted elsewhere

. tools would need to do a 2 stage lookup to find an artifact,
  even if its not present:
  1. determine if the artifact is hosted directly
  2. on failing [1], determine if there is any meta-data indicating
     that the tool should look elsewhere

-Tim