www-repository mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: click through license support?
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2003 14:31:13 GMT

dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org> wrote on 15/11/2003 10:00:07 PM:
>

>>Tim Anderson wrote:
>>>A tool can 'screen scrape' the redirected page, prompt the user
>>>to accept the license and only download if the license is accepted,
>>
>>If the tool is made to work like a web browser, ie show the pages and
>>then download when the user clicks on the button, IMHO it would be
>>perfectly acceptable.
>
> But still illegal.

I still don't understand why.

I mean, if:

  1-  the program opens the browser on the product download page
  2 - the user does the download steps as usual
  3 - the program gets the downloaded artifact from the local download
      location

Why would we be breaking the license? The only difference between this
approach and the usual one is that the download location is linked.

> We've been down this road and are working with Sun on a solution. We have
> (had?) a tool that would do the above in Maven ages ago.

Yes, I'm aware of that.

> See http://maven.apache.org/sun-licensing-journey.html

Very good that you have this page, thanks for the pointer.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -