www-repository mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Use of '/' in ???-specifier's
Date Sun, 16 Nov 2003 18:46:10 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>maybe the [organization]/[product] notion is artificial.
>>What [organization]/[product] and [organization]/[product]/[version]
>>do is to establish a path to an logical artifact.
>>

>At any of it does is establish a path to a logical artifact.  Seems to me
>that there is limited utility to being able to parse the URI, and that the
>real key is having meta-data with which to assemble it.  But others don't
>seem to agree with that view.  They want to parse semantic information from
>the URI.
>

>>we should not be focussing on the url as a spec - but instead
>>we should be focussing on the url as a [artifact-identifier]
>>and from that point on we should be using metadata to provide
>>us with the information about organization, product name,
>>available versions, etc.
>>

>So your feeling is that once you have a URI for the root component for a
>tool, you want meta-data suitable for your tool to indicate the location(s)
>of other content, such as license, dependents, etc.  Those location(s) can
>be specified either by a full URI, or after all of Tim's good work, by URI
>parts, which the specification tells us how to assemble.  The latter is how
>I have been viewing things so far.
>
>The meta-data could be in the form of a POM, a JNLP file, or some other
>format, and the tool would indicate what it is looking for as previously
>discussed.  I think that's where you're going, right?

In principal ... yes.

But I am making an assumption that a very simple named value pair
metadata syntax could be assumed along with a meta mime type. References
in that structure could be absolute or relative to the location of the
metadata file.  Releative to the java world - that schema could be
equivalent to the Properties format (i.e. "some-name = some-value").
Given something like this - it becomes a lot simpler to seperate
mechanics of access from logic of usage, while maintaining potential for
cross-application interoperability (although that would require at least
a very very small set of standard properties - e.g. language and
application domain).

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell