www-repository mailing list archives

From Nick Chalko <n...@chalko.com>
Subject Re: [proposal] URI Syntax - v0.2
Date Sat, 15 Nov 2003 00:40:28 GMT
Tim Anderson wrote:

>>>From a tool perspective, it can unambiguously locate a project
>when given inputs of:
>  "org.apache"  -> must replace "." with "/" before performing lookup
>  "org/apache"
>  "oracle"
>
>The implication of this is that generic tools can't parse the URI
>and determine what is part of the product-specifier and what is
>part of the version-specifier.
>
>However, I don't think this is unreasonable. There is no requirement
>that tools be able to parse URIs to extract meta-data.
>
>-Tim

I think easing the  job for tools is a good goal.

We must support both Humans and Tools.
I would favor Humans.   But both humans and tools will have problems
when some orginzation decides its project name is Beta or nightly, etc

I think we should consider  not allowing / in many of the parts.

R,
Nick