www-repository mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Where is version in UIR Syntax
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2003 01:12:03 GMT

Nick Chalko wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>> Just based on opinions registered so far - it seems that the notion
>> of version in the path has concensus and that the real question and
>> difference between the two position holding attention is if a version
>> in the filename should be manadatory or not.
>> Is that a reasonable conclusions?
>

> Seems that is where we are at. To me I can live with either.

Hi Nick:

Just for reference - I use non-versioned artifact referenced rather
frequently.  Typically I'll create a symlink to a versioned artifact.
The main benefit is when end-users are deploying artifacts and your
giving them a URL. From my point of view is simply more friendly to make
this optional - and I think more practical in the long term.

Stephen.

p.s.

BTW - I've sorted out how he can deal with meta resolution without
impacting the spec - thanks to Noel's links re. http which lead to some
learning about content negotiation and with some assisstance from Erik
Abele from infrastructure, I managed to get in place a test case that
allows me to pull down artifact metadata by requesting a text/x-meta
mime type.

SJM

--

Stephen J. McConnell