www-repository mailing list archives

From Michal Maczka <mmac...@interia.pl>
Subject Re: URI/URL Syntax -- little nits to be aware of
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:01:50 GMT
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

>>Why do you want to parse strings which describe versions?
>>

>So one can look at a repository of artefacts and select the "best" for the
>user automatically. Each user has a different view of "best", some want
>latest (nightly/snapshot), some want latest "release" only.
>
>Having a repository with automated tools that require humans to understand
>the contents kinda breaks the automation...

Not necesserly the fact that version number is not parsable by machines
determines that fact that versions are uncomparable.

In Maven world in POM we can have tags like::

<versions>
    <version>
      <id>b1</id>
      <name>1.0-b1</name>
      <tag>MAVEN_1_0_B1</tag>
    </version>
    <version>
      <id>b2</id>
      <name>1.0-b2</name>
      <tag>MAVEN_1_0_B2</tag>
    </version>
    <version>
      <id>b3</id>
      <name>build-455</name>
      <tag>MAVEN_1_0_B2</tag>
    </version>
  </versions>

We also have a place for branches there.

Using such meta data you can theoretically  tell that version 1.0-b1 was
released before 1.0-b2 and 1.0-b2 was out before build-445.

Any tool can inject such helper artifacts to repository and use them.

I am not saying that what we did in Maven in this field is a world
championship, but there are some ideas which can be explored
and this shows that some things are probably possible.

Simply metdata atached to artifacts  (which can be denoted as URL)  is
not  sufficient for  making smart tools and never be.
Artifact versioning is horribly complicated topic and I am simply afraid
that attempts to e.g. guess version precedence  from version strings
are not relaiable in the best case.

Michal

Michal